Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Classy Day

Well. First day of school m'friends. You'd anticipate a mornin' running smoothly and errything going according to plan, riiigghhhtt?

Wrong.

Woke up. Everything was chipper chicken. You know, taking care of some stuff--I was so stoked to like actually get ready as an enthusiastic little Camby student! So I start curling my hair. NBD. (I thought) I was just using my American curling iron which I've already used here when I start hearing this clicking. A peculiar sound, I thought, then the curling iron was like instantly not hot. Boo hoots. Yeah. My curling iron blew out... wait for it... on my last layer of hair! yummy! just picture it! So then I have this frizzy top layer and curled bottom layer, so I try my other American curling iron-- blow that sucker out too. Then, I decided to stop. Prolly my finest decision in quite some time. So I french braid back the top layer, and head to class... and if you know me... you know how tough of a time I have getting from Point A to Point B without going some roundabout way... So I'm getting lost. It's like whatever. (luckily I left my aptizz like WAYYY early), follow crazy close behind a girl with a backpack... she looked promising... and found my way there.

Clase de numero uno: (I'm obviously fluent in Spanish)

"Good Life or Moral Life"-- I'm stoked to discuss the pros/cons for living a good life vs. a moral life. So my don (professor), around 35, shows up in his oversized suit and unruly hair  (like rill rill curly... out of control)... and I'm thinkin' alright! what a man! He seems like a genuinely.. interesting... person. Then he starts talking fast. like indy 500 fast. And I'm like whoa dog! I can't write this fast! He then proceeds to mention that we have a 500+ page book to read on Philosophy that he reads everywhere yet still has the hardest time understanding. This reading is probably the hardest reading out of any of the PKP classes, and we'll most likely have to take it sentence by sentence! Color me stoked out of my mind. nahhh I was WAY overwhelmed! He's brilliant. He even said, and I quote, "Our lectures comprise of me talking for an hour and fifteen minutes, where I will share with you my years of study, so you won't want to miss lecture." He then started to pound out a whole bunch of Greek philosophers whose names made no phonetic sense... but all in all. I'm conquering this class. I had the chance to transfer, but I realized, why would I? I can do this. Shoots yeah I'm going to have to read. and try. and fail. and try again. and study. and pray. a lot.

But I've committed. I'm determined. And I'm gonna learn a lot baby!

My afternoon was then filled with blow dryer shopping, curling iron shopping, and hitting the mall with some girls from my first class. Thank juzzness. It was SUCH a break.

Clase de numero dos:

"Architecture: The Gothic Experience: 

All you need to know is my teacher's a champ and a half. Like such a beloved guy. He starts out by telling us how his trousers are tucked into his socks because he rides his bike everywhere. So as he's untucking, he proceeds to tell us that when we see old men walking around with their trousers tucked in, it's because they're avid bike riders, then he said, "Or they're just (insert f word here)ing insane!" Then he laughed at himself for a good 25 seconds, and obviously I was laughing out of complete shock! He apologized for how often he slips up. Anyhoots. Our class is discussion based. Our class is almost ALWAYS not in a classroom, but out looking at gothic architecture on field trips. Our tests are chill as can be. Yeah. It's the tops.

THEN MERCY. PROLLY THE BEST OF CAMBY SO FAR. I book it home from class, my hair starts out going all sorts of whack, and I throw a dress on! We hurry on over to King's chapel to hear the world-renowned, life changing, Evensong (a boys choir that performs in the chapel singing psalms in robes) I would've taken a picture, if I could've... but just picture heaven. and that was it. We're standing in this beautiful chapel, hearing truly angellic voices. It was one of those moments, that I KNOW I'll never ever forget. I wish I could've captured the entire hour long performance in a bottle, just to save it, for the rest of my life. I recommend it to ANYONE whoever goes on a European excursion. Even if it's the only thing you stop in England for, it's so so so so worth it. Everyone in the audience was worshiping in their own way. The Spirit was absolutely present. I felt it.This measly blogpost doesn't even begin to explain the experience Evensong was. I wish it did. It inspired me in ways I never could've imagined.

Fast forward an hour. Drinks on the lawn before our formal dinner. Everyone and their dog (except for us cougs) were drankin' the champagne up! One of my friends from Hopkins named Gauri was like, "Kels, this is really gross, try it." Folks, I'm ashamed but as she handed her goblet to me, I almost tried it. Then I was like, "oh mercy! sorry I don't drink!" Anyhoots, drinks was fun. My water tasted AMAZING, if you were wondering. Everyone said the champagne was not even excellent... but what do I know?! We're all conversing, getting to know each other, as their alcoholy breath was all over the place. But these are quality people! I'm not judgin' one bit! Our formal dinner consisted of even MORE drinking. Champagne. Wine. Coffee. Tea. I don't know how these peeps don't need to go to the loo every two seconds because they're drinkin' the heck out of everything! Yes, we had thinly sliced roast beef AGAIN. unreal. no complaints here. We were all dressed really fancy, served by butlers, holding a quadrillion forks. Our faces glowin by candlelight, while the great hall shone with the paintings of Pembroke's old masters. No wonder errybody looks so stoked in Harry Potter when they're in the Great Hall.

Guys. this is the tops. get yourself to Cambridge SOMETIME in your life. You won't regret it. Wandering the little streets, I realize, that this is the PERFECT place for a one-on-one date for Bachelorette! I could TOTALLY see it! It's real romantic, and the most excellent place to fall in love. In fact, I would not mind one ounce if I could have my honeymoon here someday. It's MAGICAL!!

Further take away:

EXPLORE small bakeries. If you think about it, it's really not that hard of a suggestion to follow. Pastries. Hot chocolate. Nutella. You've got it.

EMBRACE the chances you have everyday to meet new people. Some people are placed in our paths for a reason. At the end of the day, you made new friends, got a little bit better at listening, and maybe made someone feel cared about. People are FASCINATING. I'm learning so much about individuals and how wonderfully unique the Lord made us. Meeting people has always been one of my absolute favorite pasttimes, so I'm just chipper chicken over here! 

ENJOY the sauces, seasoning, and dressing in America. Because here, in the good ole UK, everything is like sauceless. It's whatever I guess.

***always remember and never forget, people are innately good! Give them a chance! Everyone has SOMETHING to offer, SOMETHING good about them. We've just got to look:)


No comments:

Post a Comment